Saturday, October 16, 2010

Surfing the Time Stream

This is the farthest into the future I have ever traveled.

(pause)

Just went a little further.

I have to figure out a way to reverse this. Don't like the way the future is treating my body. Not everyone who started this journey with me has survived. I don't want to end up as one of the casualties thrown out of the time stream. It must be horrible to be cast into a pile of discarded Double Cola bottles, 8 track tapes, coonskin caps, Nehru jackets, 45 rpm records, Lincoln logs, VCR tapes, et cetera, et cetera. The time stream continues. Not everything will make it to end. DVD's are being pushed out. They should be gone soon. Computers also stay in the time stream about as long as house flies.

The time stream also draws items and beings into itself. Babies are constantly popping in. So are cell phones. Most babies last longer than cell phones. Many babies will surf the time stream for close to a century. Some even longer. With modern medicine, millions will surf along smoothly. The time stream use to be very bumpy. Far too many were thrown out by surprise and/or earlier than expected.

On inspection of the board I use to surf the time stream, I see it is not as sturdy as I would like. But surf boards can be deceiving. You would think that alcohol soaked, tobacco stained boards would not last. My uncle has such a board. And he is still surfing, pushing ninety. Hi ho!

(Note: I stole that "hi ho" from Kurt Vonnegut Jr. He fell off his board a couple years back and is unable to complain about my thievery. His board lasted 84 years.)

Some people like to surf the wild dangerous end. Some succeed such as Robert Downy Junior. Some don't; i.e. Steve Irwin. I rode the deadly side for many a year, yet for the last twenty, I have mostly stayed in the shallow end.

If you are reading this, you are a fellow traveler. I hope your board is in good condition and may you ride it for a long time. I intend to be surfing as long as you, if not longer. So until the next time; Hang ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment