Thursday, May 26, 2011

Abbott and Costello Reanimated

Is there a current trend for bands to name themselves like newspaper articles?   Here are some recent band names:  Airborne Toxic Event, Panic at the Disco, Cage the Elephant, Death Cab For Cutie, The Dillinger Escape Plan, My Chemical Romance, Bowling For Soup, Bullet For My Valentine...

I decided to submit to you a list of band names over the past fifty years.  See if you can see how the names have evolved:

1950s:
The Teenagers, The Monotones, The Coasters, The Flamingos, The Drifters, The Heartbeats...

1960's:
The Mamas and The Papas, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Animals, The Byrds, The Monkees...

1970's:
Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, The Sex Pistols, The Detroit Wheels, Chicago, Boston, America...

1980's:
Beastie Boys, Dire Straits, Tears For Fears, Iron Maiden, Guns and Roses, Public Enemy...

1990's:
Alice In Chains, Rage Against the Machine, My Bloody Valentine, The Flaming Lips, Screaming Trees...

2000's:
Death Cab For Cutie, Velvet Revolver, Five For Fighting, The All American Rejects, The Killers...

2010's:
Lady Gaga...

Okay, I kind of fizzled out for the 2010's.  But the decade is still young. Did you know it possible to redo the old Abbott and Costello routine "Who's on first" with band names?

*************************

Bud:  Do you know who played "Roundabout?"

Lou:  Around about where?

Bud:  No.  The song "Roundabout," do you know who played it?

Lou:  Who?

Bud:  No. "Yes."

Lou:  No, yes?

Bud:  Yes.

Lou:  Well who was it?

Bud:  No. It was "Yes."

Lou:  Who?

Bud:  "Yes."

Lou:  "The Who" played around about?

Bud:  No.  "The Who" did not.  I can tell you what "the Who" played.  "I Can't Explain."

Lou:  If you can't explain it, then why say you're gonna tell me?

Bud:  Two different songs!  "Who,"  "I Can't Explain." And "Yes," they played "Roundabout."

Lou:  I don't know who played around about anywhere, or why...

Bud:  "Who" did not play "Roundabout."

Lou:  I don't know.

Bud:  I just told you.

Lou:  Lets say its around about Boston.  Now what song are you talking about?

Bud:  "Boston?"  Well they got "Hitch a Ride."

Lou:  I don't care how they get there.  I wanna know what is the name of  the song whoever you're talking about is playing.

Bud:  "Roundabout."

Lou:  What band played around about?

Bud:  "Yes."

Lou:  What is the title of the song?

Bud:  "Roundabout."

Lou:  The name of the song is "Roundabout?"

Bud:  That's what I've been telling you.

Lou:  Okay.  And the band who played it is named...

Bud:  "Yes."

Lou:  I'm talking about the band now...

Bud:  A song by "The Band?"  They had "Stage Fright."

Lou:  So they never performed?

Bud:  "The Band" performed for over a decade.

Lou:  They got over their stage fright?

Bud:  "Stage Fright" was one of their most requested hits.

Lou:  That's terrible.

Bud:  What's terrible?

Lou:  People wanting to see a band having stage fright.

Bud:  Why shouldn't they request "Stage Fright?"  It belonged to "The Band." You wouldn't see "Stage Fright" done by "The Who."

Lou:  Anybody.  I wouldn't expect stage fright at a concert.  If the band is too scared to play, then why would I want to see that?

Bud:  "The Band" was never scared to play.  You shouldn't start rumors like that.

Lou:  I'm not starting rumors.  I don't even know what we're talking about.

Bud:  1970 rock and roll!

Lou:  Forget the 70s.  No wonder you're confusing me.  Let's talk about someone current.

Bud:  Okay.  You want to talk about "My Chemical Romance?" or "Jane's Addiction?"

Lou:  No.  If you want to talk about you and your girlfriend's drug problems, you should go to clinic and talk to them.  I'm a goooood boy.

***************************

Okay, you get the idea.  One last note about music.  "Airborne Toxic Event" has a song called "Changing."  Do yourself a favor, if you do not know this song, go on you tube and give it a listen.  I think it's the cat's pajamas.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment