Sunday, April 24, 2011

Blazing Ahead

There is this Pastor from Florida named Terry Jones who traveled to Detroit to burn a copy of the Koran.  Some people don't like this and they have made death threats to Jones.  I never can understand why people make such a big thing out of religion.  "My God can beat up your God!"  Or, better yet, "My all powerful invisible guy up in the sky who nobody alive has ever seen can whoop your all powerful invisible guy up in the sky who nobody alive has ever seen."

Do you know that more people have been killed in the name of religion than have died from cancer or other diseases?   What loving Gods, eh?

By no choice of my own, I was baptized a catholic.  I was forced to attend catechism when my age only consisted of one digit.  Here are some things you should never ask a nun teaching you religion.
1.  Where did Cain and Abel get their wives?
2.  If God is all powerful, can he create a weight so heavy that even he cannot lift it?
3.  Why does God need my money?  If it's his church, shouldn't he pay for it himself?
4.  If the Holy Grail is so important, how can people forget where they put it?
5.  If Jesus came back from the dead, doesn't  that make him a zombie?

Back to Terry Jones.  He was told that the burning of the Koran, to some Muslims, would be worse than a thousand deaths.  He said that this concerned him.  So now what?  Is he stuck with a Koran that has no purpose other than to level out the legs of his kitchen table?  We know he is not going to be reading it during his sermons.  Will he put it on e-bay?  "New Koran for sale.  Never been read.  Impossible to incinerate.  Best offer or will trade for Tao-te-ching or Talmud."

As for me, I think the burning of any books to be wrong. (No burning Beatle records either.) If there must be a burning, how about burning copies of all the religious books (The New Testament, The Old Testament, The Koran, The Talmud, The Tao-Te-Ching, The Analects, The Bhagavad Gita.. etc.)  and sit down together to work out a religion that everyone can agree upon.  The main teachings of this new religion will be "I will not preach. I will not kill."  I don't care what else you include in the teachings, as long as those first two rules are followed religiously.

2 comments:

  1. I agree I don't like to see any books get bruned. Like in farenhight 451.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you were not one of those Catholic kids who weekly made it a point to tell me I was going to hell since I was eating meat on Friday.

    ReplyDelete