Friday, April 29, 2011

Pond Jumping

I was sitting on the throne thinking about the royal wedding.  How apropos.  It is due to start in a few hours.  I can see how the people on the other side of the pond would be consumed by the event, but why us?  Why is there such a rage for all things Will and Kate?  It's not like we can gamble on it.  "I got a fifty saying that bridesmaid number two will step on Kate's train." or "Bet the Queen falls asleep before the I do's." or "I qive you ten to one odds that William grabs Kate's bum before leaving the church."  (And who could blame him?  Quite the lovely bum she has.)

Did you notice how instead of saying "ocean" in the first paragraph, that I called it "the pond,"  the Brits nickname for the Atlantic?  John Lennon is responsible for my knowing this.  I still remember the press conference when the Beatles first arrived in the USA.  When asked how he finds America, John Lennon quipped, "Just go to Greenland and make a left."  I believe that was when America started it's love affair with Great Briton.  In the 1960s, we couldn't get enough of the British Invasion.  We wanted it all; the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Herman's Hermits, The Avengers, Peter Sellers, Twiggy, Carnaby Street, Monte Python, James Bond, and on and on.  Even Jimi Hendrix can be put in that mix.  He was an American that went to London and had an Experience that carved out his notch in history.

The UK in the 1970s gave us Elton John, David Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Dire Straits, the Sex Pistols, and Benny Hill to name a few.   We also took BBC television shows and Americanized them.  "Steptoe and Son" became "Sanford and Son."  "Til Death Do Us Part" was turned into "All In the Family."

Then came Princess Di with the 1980s and into the 1990s.  We stayed focused on her throughout her marriage, her giving birth to her sons, her divorce, her charity work, and finally her death.  She posthumously received the Nobel Peace Prize for her support of the International Campaign to Ban Land-mines.  Quite the lady.

Into this new millennium we still follow the Brits.  We took their TV show "Pop Idol" and made "American Idol."  We even brought Simon Cowell over to judge the contestants like he does on "Pop Idol."  (Can't put too much money in Simon's pockets.)  That worked so well that we did the same thing with "Britain's Got Talent" and Piers Morgan.

Which brings me to this early morning and my writing of this.  I don't think I'll be watching the festivities live.  I know I will subjected to repeats of the highlights for days to come.  If Will and Kate really wanted my attention, they could have sent an invite.  Yet I only wish them the best.  And with Kate's good looks, the monarchy may stand a chance of finally breeding out that Charles nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment