Friday, May 28, 2010

Birth Day

I missed being born on Friday the 13th by 6 hours. I was born on Thursday the 12th. There is an old poem that is suppose to predict a baby's path in life by the day they are born. Here is the poem:

Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go
Friday's child is loving and giving
Saturday's child works hard for a living
But the child that is born on the Sabbath day,
is fair and wise, good and gay

I looked up the birth dates of Elton John, Rock Hudson and Liberace. They were all born on a Tuesday. You would have thought it would have been a Sunday, but when this was written "gay" had a different connotation. Anyway, back to me, I was born on a Thursday. I have far to go. "Far to go where?" is what I want to know. I wonder if that means in life or in travels. Perhaps wealth and popularity.

The poem is not very specific. Like what is "fair of face?" It could mean light complected or average in looks. "How's the kid look?" "Eh, fair." "Boy, he sure is white!" Wednesday has the child full of woe. Is he gonna stop horses for a living? And only the child born on Saturday works hard. That implies that 6 out of 7 people are lazy bastards.

Why does Sunday's child have multiple traits? The rest of us only get one apiece. (*The Friday exception noted) There may be bias going on here. You think the author may have been born on a Sunday? The author did not even use the word Sunday. He referred to it as "the Sabbath." When I think about "the Sabbath," I think about Ozzie Ozborn's old band. Ozzy was born on a Friday. I checked. Perhaps someone else from the band was born on a Sunday. You can check that out.

Well, I killed enough time. All these blog entries can't be winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment