Sunday, January 2, 2011

And Off We Go Into 2011...

Every year I make New Years Resolutions.  Every year I fail to keep them.  So this year I will only make one single resolution.  If I only make one, then I can concentrate on it and make it successful.  My New Year Resolution for 2011 is: "I will not make any New Year resolutions."  That one should be easy to keep.

I quit smoking in 2002.  I wish I had made that a resolution for that year.  I did not.  Now that I know I can quit cigarettes, I should start smoking again so I can make a do-able resolution next New Years.  If I were to start back my old nicotine habit, I would have to do it slowly.  I could begin with the patches and work my way up.  Linda already has the patches.  They have been in the house for over a year.  She claims they don't work.  She finds it impossible to keep them lit.

Steven King wrote a great short story about kicking the cigarette habit.  It was called "Quitters Inc."  It was about a man who went to a clinic that was run by the mafia.  He told them he wanted to quit smoking and they told him okay, you don't smoke anymore.  They threw out his cigarettes and said if he were to light up again, they would physically hurt his family.  Now that is a great motivator.   Will love of family overcome tobacco dependency?  Read it and find out.

[pause]

Here's a riddle for you: What do we have this year that we haven't had in eight years and won't have again for six years? Or how are 2003, 2011 are 2017 the same?  Well, I won't keep you in suspense.  All three years are prime numbers.  Another fun fact from that trivial mind of mine.

[pause]

My pool of knowledge is rapidly being drained.  I am in need of fuel to continue.  Time for Sunday breakfast.  I am gonna have a couple eggs.  How do I want them? you ask.  I want one egg fried on one side and the second one fried on the other.  I stole that line from S.J.Perelman.  In case you don't know, S.J.Perelman was a writer for the Marx Brothers and one of Groucho's closest friends.  If Perelman's material was good enough for Groucho, then its good enough for me.   After all, we went to different schools together.

Sorry, but I didn't want to wow you with my wit and wisdom.  This is my first post in 2011 and if I don't set the bar too high, then future posts will only get better and better.  See how I considerate I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment