Friday, January 21, 2011

Repeat Performance

Don't you just hate when you get a bit of tune stuck in your head? Especially a tune that you are not particularly fond. For some unfathomable reason I have the opening to the song "I Wish I was in Dixie" repeating over and over. Just the way the General Lee car horn sounded in the Dukes of Hazard. I even find myself whistling it ever so often. Its an conscienceless act that I catch myself doing, but once I start whistling it, I am loathe to finish it. Even if I manage to stop in the middle, only a few seconds can pass before I am compelled to complete it. It may not be bad if I could do the entire tune, I do know it, but I am cursed to only repeat the opening few bars. How long will this torture last?

"I wish I was in the land of..." There, you try not to finish that line.

[pause]

I've mentioned Linda before on this blog. We will have been living together for twenty years come March. Anyway, she is currently in Nebraska visiting with her daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. I dropped her off at the airport on Monday. She'll be gone for a couple weeks. Linda had got a new cell phone last month. She called me Tuesday and says she can't find it. I tried dialing the number but it goes right to voice mail. It must be turned off. She asked me and expects me to look for it. It was lost somewhere between Detroit and Omaha. Wish me luck.

[pause]

Well, I'm gonna leave you with one of Cary Grants favorite poems:

"They bought me a box of tin soldiers,
I threw all the Generals away,
I smashed up the Sergents and Majors,
Now I play with my Privates all day."

No comments:

Post a Comment